Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Dr. Frankenstein, I am not

But I tried!

I made my first knitted stuffed critter and he turned out really well! I bought a pattern from Rebecca Danger, which I learned about from Yarngasm. I had to learn a backwards cast on, which is pretty easy. But I also got to learn magic loop!! It was very exciting :) I really did want to learn magic loop but was really nervous about it. It's not that hard!! What was stopping me?? Geesh.

I thought it would be fun/interesting for my fellow crafters to post pictures of monster in progress on my facebook. It really did seem to entertain people. Crafters are a special breed.

So we have the start of monster (no name for monster yet. Matthew gets to name the monster). I think I redid the feet maybe 6 times. I'm really not happy with metal dpns. It was SO slick that I was having lots of trouble keeping the stitches on. But I finally got it going.

I had to tear this foot apart because I used the wrong size needles. I must have been tired when I started this.

The body of the monster was super simple and ended with a 3 needle bind off that eliminates seaming. Whoop!


Next up was the arms! And stuffing!


Once the arms are sewn on, I decided to sew eyes on instead of getting safety eyes. I don't have kids but I felt that sewn eyes were better for 4 year olds. I could be wrong but I like the eyes anyways.

I gave my facebook friends a peek (literally)


I tore my house apart for felt that I KNEW I had but apparently didn't. So monster had to wait a bit for his mouth until I could get to Hobby Lobby to find felt and liquid stitch (which, gosh, was mostly dry when I opened it. Thanks Hobby Lobby). So.... we present the final monster!


The yarn I used for this is from Colorbug Yarns in Detroit. The colorway is called Inchworm. God bless Etsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment