Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2015

Stitches South 2015: My Recap

Once again, I've been gone for a bit. My knitting mojo left, I think because I had a hard time dealing with the loss of Eva. This, coupled with problems at work (that have since resolved), had me really down in the dumps. I had signed up for Stitches South earlier in the year and went, hoping my mojo came back.

And it did.

But first, in order to really get the mojo, I had to finish up "obligation" knitting. Now that it's out to it's new owner, everything I do is for ME!!!! I think this is one of the big take-aways from Stitches that I left with: it's ok to knit for myself. While it's good to think of others, it's important to think of yourself too. I saw so many things that inspired me and made me want to KNIT ALL THE THINGS.

Stitches South was in Nashville, TN (one of my favorite cities) and I got on board a little late so The Gaylord was full, but I got a room just 5 minutes away so it all worked out. We arrived on a Wednesday and I went and grabbed my name tag and registration then we were off.

First stop: Dinosaur World in KY for a photo op

Next stop: Loveless Cafe in Nashville, TN - THE FOOD! And Moonshine.

A guy working at the Visitor's Center in TN told us about Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant. We choose to have dinner there the first night. Amazing food, great selection of beer and live entertainment. Did I mention I love Nashville?


The next day, I had registered for a class on Amazing Couture Stitches but in actuality, I was downtown Nashville exploring the Country Music Museum. *cough* I really wanted to go to the Museum because the Dylan Cash exhibit was there. I've no regrets.

Before the museum we ate at the Pancake Pantry. No regrets there either!




We also headed to Belle Meade Plantation. It was neat walking the grounds and taste testing at the winery there.

My grandma lived in Hendersonville, TN on Old Hickory Lake, near Johnny Cash. We decided to head over there to visit Cash's gravesite. It took some searching but we found it



We ended the day eating at The Cock of The Walk, near our hotel because we were beat. Giant, family style plate of hush pups, catfish and chicken with cornbread on the side.

The next day, Friday, was my first class and real day at Stitches. I took a cuff down, toe up sock class by Stacey Trock. I had all my homework done and had already knit up some cuff down socks before so I was more eager to learn the toe up version. Stacey was a really good teacher but I think the class had too much content for 3 hours. There were a few folks who didn't do the homework either so we did have to wait on them to catch up. Basically, we got through a version of the cuff down sock and just barely started learning the toe up cast on (of which I mangled badly) before the class was up.

After the class, I hit the marketplace. OH MY...... It was chaos. My sister joined me and ended up holding my bags while I charged into the booths I wanted to hit (pre-planning my marketplace list!). I got into Miss Babs and The Plucky Knitter as well as Erin Lane bags. Later on, I visited the marketplace about 3 more times and hit up A Hundred Ravens, Seven Sisters, Apple Tree, & 2 Guys Yarn Company. Sew Flo had adorable and geeky bags. I ended up with a TARDIS notions bag. I also ended up getting a new knitting bag and t-shirt. Whew. And yet, I didn't buy nearly as much as others!








After the marketplace on Friday, we were off to the Johnny Cash museum! And for a stop at the Goo Goo Cluster store, conveniently right across the street.



I went back to the Gaylord for the fashion show. Let me say now that I really appreciated the knitters and crocheters there. I was alone for the conference but everyone was very friendly and invited me to sit with their groups. I really did appreciate that. I didn't take photos of the fashion show because I was mostly entranced by it. Beautiful garments and, what made me so happy, I could make them myself!! Wahoo!

After the show, we headed to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner because my sister had never been.

My mom and I (and an elephant)

On Saturday, I was pretty excited (and nervous) to take Lily Chin's Tips and Tricks class. Nervous because the homework was to learn the crochet cast on and I just could not get it. I'm really not the type to go to a class without the homework being done. Lily is officially my knitting hero. She was dressed in a handknit, sparkly purple dress with sparkly purple tights and purple boots. She was funny and smart and helpful and she really knew how to pack in all the information she intended us to absorb into 3 hours. This class was worth the entire price of admission to the conference.

This was our last night in town. My sister and I signed up for a haunted tour of Nashville (in a hearse) and were planning on hitting the bars on Broadway. Before that, we stopped at Caney Fork River Valley Grille for dinner. More good food and live entertainment!

Nashville Ghost Tours offers up an open air hearse to tour the haunted places of Nashville. It was... challenging to get into the hearse and slightly creepy. Our first stop was a cemetery then onward to Music Row and the Capitol Records building. It was a really good tour! No bars afterwards though, it was a madhouse with lines to get in a mile long. There had been a marathon that morning so Nashville was a hopping city. Back to the hotel to pack.



Stitches South was just what I needed. I'm already planning on next year and plan on signing up for a lot more classes!

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/STITCHES/

No comments:

Post a Comment