Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kool-Aid Man!!! A Dyeing Tutorial

The coffee dyeing turned out so well, that I tried my hand at kool-aid dying. So here we go, step-by-step:

I purchased 6 packets each of grape koolaid and black cherry koolaid. I filled 2 bowls with boiling water and emptied in the packets. It really smelled trippy! I kinda liked it.

Seeing how it's a tad messy and probably will stain, use a garbage bag or plastic under the bowls.

Once again, I used 100% wool bare yarn from Knit Picks and I didn't soak it in water first, like I did the coffee dyed yarn. I just wanted to see what variation it would give :)

Added the yarn and worked it a bit to get the middle of the yarn dyed with some color.

I literally took a nap and let it soak for about 30 minutes. I needed the dye to be completely exhausted, as I was apparently since I needed a nap. The dye completely soaked in and left behind clear water. It was rather a pretty experience.


The two toned dyeing came out really excellent! I ran it under cold water to make sure no dye came out.


After drying, the colors toned down some and looked like I wanted it to look. Yay!

Final product!
Now what to make with it??

No comments:

Post a Comment