Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Not Just A Country Song

It's been a rough few months. It's taken since August to finally find out that I have Basal Cell Carcinoma. My awesome dermatologist assured me that this isn't scary cancer, but it is cancer. I've had a lot of near misses with cancer in my life, considering I'm only 35, and now that I didn't dodge one bullet, I got all depressed and distracted. For a few months.

I was even too distracted to even knit. Oh, I did knit stuff, but my heart wasn't in anything. I did read, but got distracted. I tried to cook and didn't want to eat anything. It's amazing what having a diagnosis can do. I mean, I knew deep down that problem was cancer. But finally getting the phone call and getting a PLAN on how to fix it really made a world of difference. Funny how that works.

So, while I'm not running around Living Like I'm Dying (to paraphrase a Tim McGraw song) I feel like I have permission to be me again. And I realize how woefully behind I am on my Christmas knitting. Looks like it's an IOU Christmas!! Ah well.

Two of my co-workers/friends are popping out kids in 2012. I always feel a need to knit something for the tots because it feels important that a newborn have something handmade just for them. This is a cruel and scary world. I can only imagine how much happier we would all be if we all had a handmade blanket or stuffed toy to get us through. Why is it that we abandoned this stuff again??

Oh yes, because we're adults and we don't need kids things anymore. How wrong we turned out to be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment