Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Where I Pretend I'm An Artist

I've always had some issues with my brain creating wonderful, unique and beautiful things and my hands just messing it all up. Knitting is the exception to that, although I still have a lot of practice in my future to make the brain-to-hand deal work better.

One thing I've always wanted to try was painting. Now, I can draw stick figures and can (mostly) paint walls, so I held no illusions to what I could really do. Finding Wine and Canvas through Groupon.com was a godsend! A place to hang out with friends, have some wine and learn to paint (ie. recreate a painting).  I've been twice with 2 different groups and I had a great time, even if my paintings turned out.... not quite how the original looked. Strangely, I'm not ashamed of my paintings. They are hanging proudly in my house.

I have a gift certificate to W&C to use by the end of the year and am still excited to go back and try another painting. Hopefully with no trees this time. I seem to have problems creating Happy Little Trees.

The first painting was supposed to be looking up at the sky from the middle of woods. I can't find the original to compare to and that's probably a good thing.


It's an impressionist painting, meaning you get the idea of what it is supposed to be but if you go up and look closely it's mainly splotches. I like my leaves in this one and I really like the color of the sky. Trees, meh.

The second one was part of a girls night out with my high school buddies. We had a great time so I'm not upset about the quality of this painting. I do have the original to compare to....

Pretty, isn't it. Ah well. Did I mention how much fun I had that night??

I hung this one in my bedroom above my reading chair. It looks better from far away.

I ended up buying some painting supplies from Wal-Mart with a friend who also caught the bug. The clairvoyant I saw at Camp Chesterfield's Spirit Fest somehow knew I had just taken up painting and assured me that I needed to keep practicing because I would end up quite good. Who knows, but at least it's some form of encouragement, right?

2 comments:

  1. That second one makes me think of Brown County State Park. I like them. Keep painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sean :) I'm going to keep going!

    ReplyDelete