Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

'Taters and 'Maters

In order to save my 'maters and 'taters, I whipped up some tomato soup today. I found a basic recipe in a French cookbook then modified the heck out of it, as I'm wont to do.

Homemade Tomato Soup

You'll need approx. 4 'maters and 4 'taters. I say approximately because I always use more. The 'taters are a thickener so keep that in mind should you decide to add more of them and not the 'maters.

Cut up the 'maters. Throw in big soup pot.

Peel and cut up the 'taters. Throw in same big soup pot.

Add 6 cups of liquid. Now the original recipe calls for water only but I prefer a creamy based tomato soup. So I usually add 2 cups milk/half and half with 4 cups water.

Add some salt and pepper (you'll be tasting this later, and can tweak the amounts)

Bring to a boil, covered. Then simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. If the 'taters are fork tender, then you're ready. Use a blender or immersion blender to blend it all together. Put back in the soup pot and reheat on the stove. Now's the time to taste test and see what you want to add. I make my soup peppery and add fresh basil if I have any. Today, my basil plant looks sad, so I did not.

Soups are my favorite comfort food. A nice bowl of this and a grilled cheese (or hot ham and cheese if you are feeling frisky) and really, there are no problems with the world anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment