Search This Blog

Saturday, July 7, 2018

The oldest yarn

So back in 2008, my mom and I took some knitting lessons from Susan at the Trading Post in Pendleton. She did a great job at teaching me the basics and instilling a love of creating in me. We had to stop because my dad was in the end stages of Parkinson's Disease but I learned enough to keep going.

Before we left, I said I wanted to learn how to make socks, so I bought a skein of sock yarn from her. That skein has been in my stash since then. Socks were intimidating so I didn't even try them until much later. This first skein of sock yarn was brash, bold, and what-was-I-thinking? I finally got it out.

And then got stuck with my back problems that kept me from finishing sock #2. Dammit.

What my staycation this week gave me was the motivation to finish this pair of socks. Action breeds motivation, at least, so once I picked it up to start again, I just kept going.

It's a million degrees in the shade here but, hey, I have a new pair of crazy color wool socks for winter.

Click to embiggen

The pattern is Vanilla Latte. Hindsight, an afterthought heel would have been better to avoid the striping but I still like them.

I have to go on a short trip for work and was pondering what I could take to knit on the plane and in the hotel room in the evening. I decided to cast on a new pair of socks from yarn that was already wound. I remember I started a baby cardigan with it but decided not to use it. No label but I remember it was from the Golden Skein yarn club. 

It feels kinda good to be back(ish). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment