Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Where I Pretend I'm An Artist... Again

God bless Groupon.com

Without this little service I would never had thought to take art classes. Honestly, the Wine and Canvas classes were more socially oriented than actual classes but I did have fun and I came out with 2 not-great-but-definitely-mine pieces of art, both of which are hanging in my house. When a Groupon came up for a 2 hour introductory art class from a Carmel art gallery (Anthony J Padgett Gallery) my friend and I jumped on it. Only $49 for the 2 of us. It's a deal you can't pass up. I think my friend is more determined than me to be able to paint, but I still figured I'd give it a try and see what happened.

Turns out the class we got was a watercolor class. Now, I've seen my old classmate's watercolors and I was questioning whether I could do this. Once we get to the gallery, we find out it's a small class....like 4 of us. I get excited because this means actual learnin'! (The Wine and Canvas classes hold about 40+ people). The teacher was an older gentleman, very nice and very talented. And did I mention nice?



He got all our little stations set up and Susan and I took a look at what we'd be painting. *Gulp* Doubts were consuming me and I was wishing that I had drank before I got there. The painting was a pretty scene of a river and trees and his version of it was gorgeous. Soooo...

The class lasted about 2 and a half hours and he really taught me something. He would sit at our tables and show us how to improve things and fix mistakes. He joked that my painting ended up quite pink but...I love pink. So I went with it. Mine was much softer than the others too, as I drew the initial outline with a light hand. I didn't want to see the big pencil outline on my painting (as the teacher advised). It was a nice feeling when he sat with me one final time and just showed me how to add grass and then said he didn't see any more need to change things. =D  <----- that was me.

So, here is my final painting. I still need to get a mat and frame because this one is definitely a keeper. And I found out that I really enjoyed watercolors much more than I did the W&C type of painting. Let's see where this one takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment