Search This Blog

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Knitting Games

I don't normally do knit-a-longs or participate in any contests with knitting. I usually claim work or other responsibilities keeping me from such shenanighans.

Except for this time. I'm just shocked to say I've gotten 2 projects done, from scratch, and entered into a few contests. It's amazing what happens when I put work aside and just do something I want to do.

The first was the Gnomeacres Warm Up Make-a-long. You had to make something to keep you warm and it had to be with Gnomeacres yarn. Of which I have approximately a ton of. Winner gets a gift certificate to the Gnomeacres site. Of which I need more yarn from. Right.

Anyway, I had a skein of worsted Sonic Screwdriver, bought with the intent on making fingerless mitts to match the Hitchhiker I had already made. So I casted on....

Done and entered into the Make-a-long. AND entered into the Ravellenic games into the WIP event, since I started these pre-Olympics. Done and done.

I casted on the GAP-Tastic cowl for myself in yarn I found in my stash. I remember buying 2 skeins from Knit Picks in a color they discontinued and never using it because it was 100% wool and I wasn't sure what to make. I just bought, ok, without thinking.

I actually finished it. In a week. I was so happy I wore it the next day all day, even  in the house (it IS still cold in Indiana). I'm amazed at myself for hunkering down and completing something like this in a week.



Herbert the Head models


 Amazing.

This was entered into Team Knitting Dead (the team I joined for the games)  and in the Ravellenic games in the Cross Cowling event AND in the Stash Skeleton event (which I didn't even realize existed). Yay me.

I casted on the Rainbow Pride scarf as well on the 7th. I've been focusing on that and I believe I can get it done and entered by the close of the Olympics on the 23rd. If you go by ROY G BIV, I'm on the G and have B and V (purple) to finish. I can do this. I just need to finish the knitting and add the fringe. I can do this!

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

I still have mittens for my sister. The original pattern I posted did not work because my brain didn't register that the yarn I have is super bulky. I made one mitten from another pattern but it was pretty confusing and when I tried it on, I wouldn't give it away. So I found a new pattern and will be giving that a try soon.

My friend also bought a skein of gorgeous sock yarn during our trip to Chicago and wants a pair of socks. So that is on my list as well. I forget the name of the pattern but it's from the Joy of Sox book. I will post more once I start them.

I'm fairly certain that this year is the year of knitting for myself, however. I rarely do and I was so happy to finish the cowl and wear it...because it was MINE.

As a side note: I got a new knitting book and love pretty much everything in it. Once Upon A Knit is out now by most of the same folks who designed for Vampire Knits.



If you are participating in the games, post your project pages in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment